top of page

The Parachute Regimental Association
 

Liverpool Branch
President: -

(Temporarily Vacant)

Registered Charity Number 1125765

Chairman: Bruce Cargill 0151 474 2479 cargills1947@hotmail.co.uk
 

Treasurer: Brian Blanchard Tel: 0151 520 1661 brianblanchard@btinternet.com

Secretary: Brian Welsh Mobile 0787 1901 206 brianwelsh4@icloud.com

The Parachute Regimental Association Liverpool Branch  - April Minutes.


 

Date: Tuesday 2nd April 2024 minutes

Present:
27 members were present at the meeting.

The Branch Chair opened the meeting at 2000hrs

Apologies for the absence:
Joe Harkon, Neil Platt, Roy Bevan, Tony Woods, Wally Thorburn, Danny Hart, Barry Bruce, Stan Fortune, Billy Young, Chris Baines, Tom McCormick, Eddie Jones, Mike Melia. Ken Barney, Tom Barney, Pete Smedley

Minutes of the Previous Meeting:

The minutes of the previous meeting were proposed by Waddy and seconded by Bobby Hamblett.

 

Matters Arising: N/A

 

Visitors/new members: N/A

 

Welfare report:

Bruce provided feedback from his visit with Barry Bruce and members wish him well. Barry remains in Aintree Hospital in ward 8 awaiting a MRI scan.

 

Ken Barney was unable to attend today but forwarded the welfare of updates he collected to Brian Welsh to report back on his notes.

 

It is important to remember that if members require additional support it is available through the branch where we can contact the Regimental Welfare Team who are trained to deal with a variety of issues and cases that are more complex.

 

Chairs Report:

Bruce opened the minutes with our minutes’ silence and added a prayer for our lost friend Jake Barney. Branch members sent our deepest condolences to the Barney Family.

 

At the next branch meeting on 7th May 2024, Liverpool PRA AGM will be held. The committee members currently in place at present will be standing to retain their respective, Chair, Treasurer and Secretary positions.

 

Those wishing to apply for any of the committee positions should make their request to the branch secretary in writing before the AGM.

 

There is also a vacant position open for nomination: President of Liverpool PRA.

 

Bruce gave huge thanks on behalf of the branch to Mick Coleman.

Mick has been solely responsible for the upgrading and renovation of the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces Memorial Stone at St John's Gardens.

 

 

 

 

 







 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mick has also personally paid for the costs of this work, which is hugely appreciated by the branch.

As mentioned in previous minutes, Bruce is holding two books on NI and Afghanistan which have been handed down to him from Albert Owen MBE, EX-PARA.

 

Albert is currently the keeper of the gardens in Belfast and Bruce has previously made and presented him with a walking stick. If members would like to sign the books out from Bruce and return them when read, please contact Bruce directly.

 

Secretary's Report:

Roy Bevans Altcar Tour, Part 2 has been postponed due to Jake Barney's funeral falling on the same date.

As soon as Roy confirms a revised date he will let the branch know.

 

Dave Reynolds (Author) has produced a new book on the official history of Airborne Forces in Afghanistan for 20 years, commencing from Kabul 2021 (2 PARA) up to Operation Pitting in 2021.

 

Further details on purchasing this limited edition can be found on the attached PRAHQ April Newsletter.

 

The D-Day 80 parade is the only one in the North West to date and ALL veteran’s associations are encouraged to have a large turnout for the parade. Details of the parade are attached.

 

All association members, friends and colleagues need to spread the word and attend on the day.

 

Details of the Parade are on Appendix A and will also be shared through our Facebook, WhatsApp and website.

 

Before the parade members will congregate at St John's Gardens to pay respects to the fallen at our Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces memorial stone.

 

The 2023 Pegasus Annual yearbook is due for release, those wishing to purchase will find details within the PRAHQ Newsletter.

 

Treasurers Report:

The Just Giving page for the new standard and Memorial Stone is now live for members to use and share across their networks and we need to advertise our Just Giving page as wide as possible to gain as much coverage as possible. Please share our Just Giving page at: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/LiverpoolPRA

 

Payments can also be made directly to our bank account below:

 

Sort Code: 23-05-80

Account Number: 44716631

Ref: Your name & standard.

 

Payments can also be made by cheque, made payable to ‘Liverpool Branch PRA’  

 

It has been confirmed by Joe Hardicker that a North West Regional Treasurer has been confirmed. Further details to follow.

 

Sadly, Bolton PRA has agreed to fold and will not be an established PRA any further.

 

There are still several Liverpool PRA members yet to pay subs for 2024.

Please contact Brian Blanchard or pay via BACS/Cheque using the bank details above.

 

Events sub-committee The cuisine night at Churassco was very well attended and members raised a glass to our departed friend Jake Barney RIP.

Jake's funeral will be held on Friday 12th April at 12.00 at Springwood Crematorium. Regimental ties should be worn as a sign of respect to Jake and the Barney family due to the families’ long association with the Parachute Regiment and Armed Forces.

 

Those wishing to attend the Regimental Commemoration Service & PRA AGM must inform the Branch Secretary,

 

It is expected the minibus will leave the Conservative Club, Lancing Drive at approx. 08.00 on 6th July. Branch Standard should be available.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AOB:
A proposal was put forward to consider the use of the Conservative Club, lancing Drive to hold the Liverpool PRA Christmas doo.

 

Branch members must confirm which venue we would like at the May meeting between Adelphi, Mercure, Seamans Club (Waddy to look into) or Conservative Club (or indeed any final options)

 

Close of Meeting:
The Branch Chair closed the meeting at 2100hrs

The date of the next meeting is Tuesday 7th May 2024 at 20.00hrs

Aintree Conservative Club,

Lancing Drive.
Aintree,
Liverpool
Merseyside L10 8LN

 

Brian Welsh
Branch Secretary Liverpool PRA
Approved: Branch Chair Signature:

 

P1040399.JPG
P1040383.JPG
P1040412.JPG
154674_529195170424237_853928982_n.jpg

The Parachute Regimental Association
 

Liverpool Branch
President: -

(Temporarily Vacant)

Registered Charity Number 1125765

Chairman: Bruce Cargill 0151 474 2479 cargills1947@hotmail.co.uk
 

Treasurer: Brian Blanchard Tel: 0151 520 1661 brianblanchard@btinternet.com

Secretary: Brian Welsh Mobile 0787 1901 206 brianwelsh4@icloud.com

The Parachute Regimental Association Liverpool Branch  - March Minutes.




Present:
34 members were present at the meeting.

The Branch Chair opened the meeting at 2000hrs.

Apologies for absence:
Joe Harkon, Neil Platt, Roy Bevan, Tony Woods, Wally Thorburn, Danny Hart, Barry Bruce, Stan Fortune, Billy Young, Chris Baines, Tom McCormick, Billy Melia. Eddie Jones.

Minutes of the Previous Meeting:
The minutes of the previous meeting were proposed by Waddy and seconded by Pete O’Brien.

Matters Arising:
Tommy Barney, after speaking to Billy Flynn proposed that the branch try to consider if possible, to support Barry Bruce getting to Arnhem for the 80th Anniversary.
Members will review the proposal and further discussions will take place at the next meeting.

Confirmation that the donation to the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces Memorial Gardens has been made and gratefully received and confirmed by Tommy Simpson.

Visitors/new members:
The branch welcomed Andy Roach (Cocker) who joined 4 PARA in 1979 and served his time in Support Company, Mortar Platoon.

Welfare report:
Bruce Cargill provided feedback from his regular contact with members who cannot get to branch meetings and reminded them that members are thinking of them and to pass on our best wishes.

 

Barry Bruce is currently in Broadgreen Hospital (Ward 5) if anybody is available to visit him it would be much appreciated.

 

Bruce provided a detailed rationale and reason for members to get a prostrate test, It’s a simple process that all members (who fit the age profile) should consider.

 

It is important to remember that if members require additional support it is available through the branch where we can contact the Regimental Welfare Team who are trained to deal with a variety of issues and cases that are more complex.

 

Chairs Report:
It was confirmed that from the next meeting, Ken Barney will take back the role of Welfare Officer from Bruce, who has provided excellent service to the branch and maintained contact with members throughout his tenure as welfare officer. The branch thanked Bruce for his commitment to the role.

 

Secretary's Report:

A reminder for members that Operation Courage is a service available for those serving and veterans who may be suffering mental health or well-being issues.

Individuals can contact the NHS via Operation Courage or refer a person, where a caseworker will be assigned to provide support.

Numbers to use for Operation Courage are 0300 373 3332 or opcourageNORTH@cntw.nhs.uk

 

Dr Gregory Fremeont-Barnes is currently writing a book about 2 PARA whilst in the Falklands and would like to speak to any 2 or 3 PRA veterans to share some of their experiences. He can be contacted at gfremontbarnes@btopenworld.com

 

A reminder for those who may have booked the Fletcher Hotel, Wolfheze for their trip to Arnhem this year, The hotel is NOT available and those who have booked to stay should get in contact with them ASAP.

 

I remind all members to consider applying for your HM Armed Forces Veterans ID card. It is very simple to do and you will be able to use it for several local concessions this year as we celebrate several 80th anniversaries.

Go online at: https://www.gov.uk/veteran-card

 

There is now free bugler support to veterans’ funerals and is available through RHQ PARA for those who have deployed on Operational tours or completed pensionable service.

 

The first passing out parade of the Falklands Platoon will take place on Friday 3rd May 2024 and ITC Catterick is trying to encourage as many Falkland veterans as possible to attend the parade to see the first-ever Falklands Platoon join their Battalions.

 

For those interested in attending please email taneisha.bateson102@mod.gov.uk no later than 12th April so feeding can be arranged.

 

Garrison WO2 Billy Jones has confirmed that the D Day80 Parade, Veterans Association's brief will take place at Crawford Hall, Mather Avenue, L18 6HF on 6th March at 18.30.

 

The parade is the only one in the North West to date and ALL veteran’s associations are encouraged to have a large turnout for the parade.

 

Treasurers Report:
The branch accounts have been verified in line with charity commission The Just Giving page for the new standard is now live for members to use and share across their networks and we need to advertise our Just Giving page as wide as possible to gain as much coverage as possible.

 

To date, we have received £250 donations via BACS or cash payments and £110 via our just giving page at: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/LiverpoolPRA

 

Payments can also be made directly to our bank account below:

Sort Code: 23-05-80

Acc No: 44716631

Ref: Your name & standard

 

Payments can also be made by cheque, made payable to ‘Liverpool Branch PRA’

 

Events sub-committee:
Elaine Overend has planned for our branch's next foreign cuisine night. Those wishing to attend should contact Elaine directly for menu choices and payments. Meet at Bridewell beforehand for a few drinks.

 

Elaine also briefed members on the tours available in the City which include a slavery tour. There is no cost but donations would be gratefully received.

 

Confirmation from members to book the following venues:

 

Future events:

 




 

AOB:

Mick Coleman will be putting the final touches to the work he has been doing regarding the memorial stone in St Johns Gardens. Mick will keep us updated and is confident the plinth will be completed imminently.

 

The cost will be £150

 

Tommy Simpson who heads up the Para memorial garden can be contacted if anybody wishes to add their name to be put on a bench in the memorial gardens at https://www.facebook.com/tommy.simpson.18

 

Pete O’Brien proposed that the branch support Mick Hurst’s daughter as she takes part in a charity walk to support dementia by making a branch donation.

This was supported and Pete will provide details of the payment method.

 

Bruce has two books he is the custodian for and will pass on to members for reading on request.

 

Tom Barney on behalf of the branch thanked Bruce for his outstanding work as both Chair and Welfare Officer as he passed the mantle of welfare officer back over to Ken Barney.

 

Close of Meeting: 

The Branch Chair closed the meeting at 2100hrs

 

Date of next meeting 2nd April 2024 at 20.00hrs

Aintree Conservative Club,

Lancing Drive
Aintree,
Liverpool
Merseyside L10 8LN

 

Brian Welsh

Branch Secretary

Liverpool PRA Approved:

154674_529195170424237_853928982_n.jpg

The Parachute Regimental Association
 

Liverpool Branch
President: -

(Temporarily Vacant)

Registered Charity Number 1125765

Chairman: Bruce Cargill 0151 474 2479 cargills1947@hotmail.co.uk
 

Treasurer: Brian Blanchard Tel: 0151 520 1661 brianblanchard@btinternet.com

Secretary: Brian Welsh Mobile 0787 1901 206 brianwelsh4@icloud.com

The Parachute Regimental Association Liverpool Branch  - February Minutes.



Date: Tuesday 6th February 2024.

Present: 36 members were present at the meeting.
Branch Chair opened the meeting at 2000hrs

Apologies for their absence:
Joe Harkon, Neil Platt, Jim Quinn, Tony Woods, Wally Thorburn, Danny Hart, Barry Bruce, Stan Fortune, Billy Young, Chris Baines, Tom McCormick, Billy Melia.

Minutes of the Previous Meeting:
The minutes of the previous meeting were proposed by Waddy and seconded by Pete Smedley.

Matters Arising:
Florence McAllister reminded members that her husband, our dear friend and well-respected Arnhem vet, Joe McAllister would have been 100 years old on 7th February.

Brian Welsh reminded members that the branch agreed to donate a sum of money to the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces memorial fund to support the excellent work the group continue to deliver. A vote was taken and the branch agreed to donate £100. Brian Welsh would inform the recipient, Tommy Simpson and confirm payment details. 

Visitors/new members:
None.

Welfare report:
Once again Bruce rang a number of members over the last week to have a welfare chat with them and wish them all the best from the membership. It is important to remember that if members require additional support it is available through the branch where we can contact the Regimental Welfare Team who are trained to deal with a variety of issues and cases that are more complex.

Chairs Report:
There have been a few discussions for trips supported by the branch and proposals from members are welcomed. Proposals will be deliberated and approved accordingly.

Secretary's Report:
Brian Welsh received a warm thankyou to the branch and standard for our attendance at the funeral of Ray Rose (ex 1 PARA). The turnout was excellent with standing room only in the church.

Paul Raison, the PRA National Secretary, has asked for those interested in finding more information or applying for the vacant North West Regional Secretary post to contact him direct via his email: secretary@prahq.com


The National Memorial Arboretum have recently produced a virtual memorial wall dedicated to Veterans and 999 employees who have succumbed to PTSD and suicide. This can be accessed online via the NMA website where individuals can upload photos of their lost friends and family, by clicking here

Garrison WO2 Billy Jones to confirm has confirmed that the D Day80 Parade, Veterans Associations brief will take place at Crawford Hall, Mather Avenue, L18 6HF on 6th March at 18.30.

Treasurers Report:
Brian Blanchard confirmed the final sizings for the branch standard and that work will be completed between 6-8 weeks The Just Giving page is now live for members to use and share across their own networks and we need to advertise our Just Giving page as wide as possible to gain as much coverage as possible.

Payments can also be made direct to our bank account below:
Sort Code: 23-05-80
Acc No: 44716631 Ref: .
Name standard Payments can also be made by cheque, made payable to ‘Liverpool Branch PRA’
The Just giving page details are: (https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/LiverpoolPRA).


"We're raising £2000 to raise money for replacement of Regimental Flag (PRA Liverpool branch) and new Battle Honour Scroll. Our existing Flag and Scroll are 20 years old and are looking very worn.
Also to raise money for a stone plinth of 3ft high in stone for our memorial plaque in St John's gardens to raise it out of the vegetation and to have the stone inscribed with Para Regiment Cap badge and Pegasus badge "Utrinque Paratus".


Events sub-committee:
Elaine Overend has planned for our branches next foreign cuisine night. Those wishing to attend should contact Elaine direct for menu choice and payments. Meet at Bridewell beforehand for a few drinks.

Elaine also briefed members on the tours available in the City which include a slavery tour. There is no cost but donations would be gratefully received. All monies raised will go towards a proposed monument in the City.
Please provide Elaine with your preferred dates from: 21st or 28th April 2024 and she will come back with confirmed date and timings.

Confirmation from members to book the following venues:

Armed Forces day – Mercure Hotel

PRA Annual Church Service – Mercure Hotel

Remembrance Sunday – Lady of Mann

D Day80 Commemoration – Bar above Tess Rileys (To Be Confirmed)



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AOB:
Brian Jenkins was the winner of this week’s spot the ball, Jim O’Connell very kindly brought several Pegasus Bridge commemorative coins into the branch for sale for £5.00 each. All monies raised will go towards the cost of the new branch standards. Anybody wishing to purchase a coin should contact Jim directly.

 

Roy Bevan thanked both Elaine Overend and Brian Welsh for continuing to raise money for the Army Benevolent Fund.

 

Pete Smedley informed the branch of a Parachute Regiment Veteran, Mike Davies, who is in a home on the Wirral and if anybody was available to visit to let Pete know and he can provide more details

 

Close of Meeting:
The Branch Chair closed the meeting at 2100hrs

 

Date of the next meeting 5 th March 2024 at 20.00hrs

Aintree Conservative Club,

Lancing Drive.

 

Brian Welsh Branch Secretary Liverpool PRA



 

366691612_1652866131901251_8069931695548728720_n.jpg

The Parachute Regimental Association
 

Liverpool Branch
President: -

(Temporarily Vacant)

Registered Charity Number 1125765

Chairman: Bruce Cargill 0151 474 2479 cargills1947@hotmail.co.uk
 

Treasurer: Brian Blanchard Tel: 0151 520 1661 brianblanchard@btinternet.com

Secretary: Brian Welsh Mobile 0787 1901 206 brianwelsh4@icloud.com

The Parachute Regimental Association Liverpool Branch  - January Minutes.



Date: Tuesday 9th January 2024
.

 

Present:
34 members were present at the meeting.

 

The Branch Chair opened the meeting at 2000hrs.

 

Apologies for their absence:
Joe Harkon. 
Neil Platt, Ken Barney, Tony Woods, Wally Thorburn, Danny Hart, Barry Bruce, Stan Fortune, Claire McCauley, Kevin Hughes, Phil McCauley,

 

Minutes of the Previous Meeting:

The minutes of the previous meeting were proposed by Waddy and seconded by Bobby Hamblett

 

Matters Arising:
None.

 

Visitors/new members:
Ian McKelvey Served with 4 PARA, A Coy 1988-91. Ian was welcomed into the branch by members.

 

Welfare report:
Once again Bruce rang several members over the last week to have a welfare chat with them and wish them all the best from the membership. It was great to have our old mate Alan Coppell attend the meeting after a while. Alan looked great and had a great time chatting to a few of the lads. We hope to see Alan again very soon.

 

Phil McCauley has injured his back after a fall from his bike and we wish him a speedy recovery.

 

It is important to remember that if members require additional support it is available through the branch where we can contact the Regimental Welfare Team who are trained to deal with a variety of issues and cases that are more complex.

 

Ken Barney said he will support the welfare role and Brian Welsh will forward Ken the members' contact list so he can contact members as part of his role.

 

Chairs Report:

There have been a few discussions for trips supported by the branch and proposals from members are welcomed. Proposals will be deliberated and approved accordingly. The good news is that we now have access to affordable transport in the form of minibuses via Alfie Brennan’s contacts.

 

A special thanks go out from the branch to Regimental HQ and Support Our Paras for providing 5 Christmas hampers to our members.

 

Secretary's Report:

A request to the branch from the family of Ray Rose (ex 1 PARA) to ask if there are any members and standard bearers available to attend his funeral on 12th January at 11.45 at Our Lady’s & The English Martyrs, School Lane, L21 7LX.

 

Notification has been made for the vacant position of Regional PRA Secretary. Those wishing to be considered for the role please contact Veterans Officer Paul Raison at secretary@prahq.com

 

Those who would like to receive the Annual Pegasus yearbook can register online and pay an annual subscription. Further information can be found in the PAHQ January newsletter attached to these minutes.

 

Support Our Paras successfully delivered 300 Christmas hampers to PRA members, their families and friends.

 

Brian Welsh is taking part in the Scotland Coast to Coast event this September. This will be a charity event to raise money for the Army Benevolent Fund and Support Our Paras. A just-giving page will be opened soon for those wishing to support his charities.

 

Brian Welsh will contact WO2 Billy Jones to confirm what events will be taking place in Liverpool for the 80th Anniversary of the D-Day landings.

Treasurers Report:

As part of the rules associated with financial regulations and Charity Commission procedures, Brian Blanchard requested one of our members to verify the branch's annual accounts before submission to the Charity Commission. Brian thanked Mick Coleman for volunteering for this task.

 

The Company (Flying Colours) who are making our new standard have been given the go-ahead from the branch after providing costs associated with the work.

 

A reminder for members that is the new year and as such subs for 2024 are required. The cost remains at £30.00 per year. Elaine Overend will update our Facebook page with the banking details for payment.

 

Bank details are:
Sort Code: 23-05-80
Account Number: 44716631
Ref: Your name - subs 2024

 

Events sub-committee:

Elaine Overend is planning for our branch's next foreign cuisine night.

The dates proposed are either the 13th or 20th of March 2024 at Pierre Bistro or any other venue we agree on. However, confirmation of the venue and cost will be determined in February's meeting. Elaine asked for those wishing to go, to bring a deposit in February and/or confirm their wish to attend.

 

Elaine also briefed members on the tours available in the City which include a slavery tour. There is no cost but donations would be gratefully received. All monies raised will go 4 towards a proposed monument in the City. Dates will be available at February's meeting.

 

Elaine updated members on the Sean Pullen case and has confirmed the trial will take place at Liverpool Crown Courts from March 2024 and will keep members updated on the outcomes of the case.

 

It was identified that many members sometimes find it difficult to attend anniversaries such as D-day and Arnhem. It was suggested that if we would like to attend such events then consideration should be made to visiting away from the core dates in June and September respectfully. This way costs and availability of accommodation are easier to source and costs are more affordable.

 

Future events:








 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14-17 March, 1 Para Reunion Blackpool      

15-17 March, 2 Para Reunion Blackpool

22-24 March, 3 Para Reunion Blackpool

 

27th April  4 Para Reunion Leeds (Hilton Hotel, Leeds Central)

 

AOB:
Frank Boyle reminded members that this year is the 50th anniversary of Exercise Bold Guard which took place in September 1974, where A Company, 4 PARA lost Eddie Beach along with four 15 PARA soldiers and an Officer cadet from Heriot-Watt University who also died. Franks proposed that it would be fitting for the branch to hold a small informal ceremony at Eddie's grave and provide a buffet back at the club to commemorate his memory.

The date proposed was Saturday 14th September.

 

Five members voted unanimously in favour of Franks' proposal and Brian Welsh will contact 4 PARA for their support. Tom Dempsey provided a brief of the excellent work Tommy Simpson has undertaken regarding the Airborne Statue in Aldershot and a recent shelter at the Aldershot Military Cemetery along with many memorial plaques he has had placed on benches in the cemetery. Tom proposed that our branch donate to the memorial fund which was agreed by the branch and a donation will be made accordingly.

 

Bruce Cargill provided and cooked a Pot Supper at the December meeting and informed members that the meat was donated by K&K Meats for free, members would like to pass on our many thanks for the kind donation.

 

The date of the next meeting is 6th February 2024 at 20.00hrs
Aintree Conservative Club,
Lancing Drive.

 

Closed Meeting:
The Branch Chair closed the meeting at 2100hrs.

 

Brian Welsh Branch Secretary Liverpool PRA Approved:

Please check out the events list on the website for details of Regimental and Local events near you: www.theparachuteregimentalassociation.com

 

 



 

PARA_Flat_Colour.jpg
0058-500x500 events.jpg
bottom of page